In El Salvador since 1989
The CINDE Foundation is a Spanish non-profit organisation that supports comprehensive educational programmes for children and young people from excluded social sectors and socio-economic programmes for women working in the informal sector in El Salvador.
The CINDE Foundation was constituted on 20 October 2006 and was classified as a non-profit foundation with aims of general interest, predominantly cooperation for development, by Ministerial Order of 16 January 2007 and registered under No. 28-1423. It is included in the Register of Non-Governmental Development Organisations attached to the AECID.
The work of CINDE, has its origins in El Salvador in 1989, in the middle of the Salvadoran civil war, by the hand of Marisa de Martínez and Father Joaquín López y López, S.J. (murdered a few months later along with 5 other Jesuits in the UCA). Together they open the first Child Development Center in the city of Soyapango, in San Salvador.
Years later, in 1999, a group of friends from Spain travelled to El Salvador, where they learned about the work that CINDE carried out with the most disadvantaged sectors of the population. This motivated the beginning of a collaboration, which years later, in 2006, culminated in the constitution in Spain of the CINDE Foundation in order to channel all the solidarity that was being generated.
Mission and vision
The CINDE Foundation is a private, independent, non-profit and non-discriminatory Spanish organisation, whose general interest aims are to encourage and promote initiatives for the integral development of the most disadvantaged sectors, always acting in favour of cultural and human growth in its broadest aspects and by carrying out all kinds of actions, activities and services aimed at this end.
In order to achieve this objective, the CINDE Foundation proposes:
- Promote and manage development cooperation programs with organizations in developing countries, especially in El Salvador.
- Promote education initiatives to achieve the development of the most disadvantaged sectors, especially children and women.
- To defend and promote the social participation of the most underprivileged sectors in the development actions in which the CINDE Foundation participates.
- Promote the awareness of people and institutions regarding the problems of inequality and poverty in the world, seeking to mobilize awareness and commitment to a more just society.
- To support and promote the development of volunteer programmes through the training of volunteers and their participation in campaigns and projects of the CINDE Foundation.